Car accidents are devastating to all the parties involved. When an injury occurs as a result of a car accident, it can be life-threatening and affect your ability to work, ability to drive, and your overall quality of life. Some injuries are more severe than others and lead to more significant compensation. Understanding the most common type of car accident injuries in South Carolina, can help you determine if filing a car accident lawsuit is right for you.
While there are a variety of reasons that car accidents occur, the injuries fall into a few categories of the most common occurrences after a crash. Keep in mind that if you suffer car accident injuries, you have a right to speak to a South Carolina car accident attorney about your case. They can guide you on your legal rights and help get you the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
Car Accident Injuries After a Car Crash in Columbia, South Carolina
Look for these common car accident injuries after a car crash:
- Cuts and scrapes: Cuts and scrapes are the most common car accident injuries in South Carolina. These cuts and scrapes occur when loose objects in your car get jostled around. They can cut your body and limbs and even cause deep cuts that could result in blood loss if not treated immediately. Contact your car accident attorney if you have been injured in a car crash and have cuts and scrapes whether they are minor or severe in nature.
- Head injuries: The impact of the car crash can cause injury to your head as it jerks back and forth. You may hit your head on the windshield or windows and have cuts or a concussion. When these head injuries are severe, brain damage can occur that affects you for the rest of your life. Seek medical treatment immediately after a car accident where a head injury has occurred. Even if you do not feel like anything is wrong, there are some cases where brain or head injuries become more severe over time, so the sooner you are diagnosed with a condition, the better.
- Soft tissue or ligament injuries: This is when the ligaments in your neck and back are damaged as part of your car accident injuries. The impact of a car crash can cause them to stretch unnaturally as you receive what is known as whiplash. This impact can also affect the muscles of your lower back and cause sprains, bruising, and other issues that need treatment by a medical professional. Your attorney can advise you on the course of action to take in your car accident case to receive compensation for your injuries.
- Chest injuries: Chest injuries are common car accident injuries. They most often result in bruising or contusions. Here, the steering wheel or seatbelt restrains you and causes bruising, internal bleeding and broken ribs. When injured in the chest area, you need to get medical attention to treat your injuries. Be sure to speak with a car accident attorney about your case to determine the legal action you should take going forward.
- Arm and leg injuries: Your arms and legs can easily get hurt when in a car accident. These limbs can move freely in the vehicle and can hit the dashboard or the seat in front of them, causing cuts, scrapes, bruises, and even broken bones. You have rights when injured in a car crash, and a Columbia car accident lawyer can help you with your case.
What Should I Do If I Have Car Accident Injuries in Columbia, South Carolina?
If you sustain injuries because of a car crash, you need to seek immediate medical treatment. Waiting for medical care when you have car accident injuries can result in more damage and your symptoms getting worse over time, causing you to suffer unnecessarily. You may even put your life at risk if your injuries are severe and life-threatening.
When you recover from your injuries or once you have been diagnosed, you need to speak to a South Carolina car accident attorney about your case. You have rights under the law to receive compensation for your injuries and get the justice you deserve for the negligence of the other driver.
Seek Compensation for Your Columbia Car Accident Injuries Today
If you have been injured in a car crash, an experienced Columbia, South Carolina car accident attorney can help you get the settlement you deserve. The lawyers at The Jeffcoat Firm can assist you with your case. We will fight for your legal rights and get you fair compensation for your injuries. Count on the Columbia, South Carolina car accident attorneys at The Jeffcoat Firm. Contact us today to set up a consultation.