Dog bites are serious business, and they can render you severely injured. You may need extensive medical treatment to care for your wounds and, often, the effects of a Richland County, South Carolina dog bite injury can scar you for life.
When a dog bites you or your family member, you do have rights under the law. You should not have to pay for any medical expenses out of your own pocket, and a Richland County, South Carolina dog bite attorney can help you seek compensation for your injuries.
The amount and type of settlement compensation will vary based on the severity of the dog bite injury in Richland County, South Carolina. You may need stitches or just have minor bruising. In other instances, a dog bite injury is severe and requires reconstructive surgery. No matter the extent of your damages, you deserve fair compensation for your dog bite injuries and a dog bite lawyer can help you determine the amount of settlement to seek.
Keep in mind that each dog bite injury is different and the total compensation is unique to that situation. You might qualify for a range of damages if your Richland County, South Carolina dog bite injury is severe or small damages if your injuries were minor. Allow a dog bite attorney to help you calculate your total compensation and fight for your settlement award.
What Type of Damages Can I Seek for a Dog Bite Injury in Richland County, South Carolina?
The damages you may qualify for in your dog bite injury case include:
- Medical costs: When you suffer from a dog bite injury in Richland County, South Carolina, you have a right to receive coverage for your medical expenses. These expenses are part of your total compensation and cover any medical treatment you need to care for your injuries now and into the future. These costs should not be your burden to bear in a dog bite case and your South Carolina dog bite lawyer will seek them as part of your settlement award.
- Lost earnings: After a dog attack, you may need to miss time from work to recover or because your injuries are so severe, they limit your capacity to complete your regular work tasks. If you miss work due to the extent and severity of your dog bite injuries, your settlement award will cover these losses. Your Richland County, South Carolina dog bite attorney will calculate the amount of wages you have lost out on due to your injuries, as well as any future lost earnings that will take place because of your dog bite injuries.
- Property damages: You also qualify for compensation for any property damages you endured because of your Richland County dog bite injury. This could include your damaged personal property that may have been ruined or broken during the dog bite attack. Your dog bite attorney will help you determine the worth of this personal property and if you should seek compensation as part of your award settlement.
- Loss of consortium: Some dog attack cases are so serious that there is a wrongful death or you lose the companionship of a loved one due to changes in their mental or physical behavior because of their dog bite injury. In these circumstances, you may be due a loss of consortium settlement. This settlement award will compensate you for your losses and help you financially recover from losing your loved one. While this will not bring your loved one back, it can provide you some solace that justice occurred for the dog bite injury that your loved one suffered. Work with your South Carolina dog bite lawyer to determine if damages for the loss of consortium are warranted in your suit.
- Pain and suffering damages: The law in Richland County, South Carolina allows for pain and suffering damages when your dog bite injury is severe in nature. This injury may cause you extreme mental suffering and anguish. These dog bite injuries can be emotionally trying and cause you great suffering and pain. You deserve compensation for your losses in your dog bite case. These damages are part of your settlement award, and a dog bite attorney can help determine if they are necessary for your dog bite case.
Reach Out to a Richland County Lawyer to Discuss Compensation for Your Dog Bite Injury
When suffering from a dog bite injury in Richland County, South Carolina, you need the help of a lawyer that you can trust. The attorneys at The Jeffcoat Firm are on your side. They will advise you on your legal rights and guide you on the best legal action to take in your case. They will represent you in court and get you the compensation you deserve for your injuries. Contact us today to set up a consultation.