A car accident can cause extensive damage to your vehicle and create major problems with your health and financial situation. Even a minor car crash in Columbia, South Carolina can leave you with serious physical injuries and render you unable to work for a period of time. As a result, you are unable to earn a living, with no vehicle, and a mountain of medical bills and repair costs. When this happens, you need a Columbia car accident attorney on your side to help you battle the insurance company to get the compensation you need to recover and repair your car.
Columbia, South Carolina is a busy area, and anytime you drive on the road or highway, you run the risk of being in a vehicle collision. If an accident is going to happen, it is going to happen, and there is not much you will be able to do to avoid colliding with another vehicle. Once the police have left the scene, the debris is gone, and you receive medical treatment, the battle is often just beginning. Insurance companies do not like to pay for car accident claims. In fact, they hire people that work hard to pay as little as possible to keep the company’s overhead low. After an accident, you should take the time to consult with an experienced car accident attorney to protect your rights.
South Carolina Compensation Laws for Car Accidents
After a car accident, you may have a few different types of damages you may be eligible to collect. The amount and type of damages will depend on your injuries and the repairs your car will need. The two types of damages many car accident victims are eligible for are:
Economic damages or those that specifically deal with your injuries and property damage resulting from the collision. Examples of economic damages often include:
- Money to repair the damages to your car
- Money to cover your medical expenses for medication, doctor appointments, and various treatments
- Compensation for your lost wages if you are unable to work for a period of time after the crash
Non-economic damages are those that relate to abstract costs relating to the accident. They are hard to assess a dollar figure to, because the damages or injuries vary. Non-economic damages will typically include:
- Money to compensate for the pain of physical injuries from the accident
- Money to compensate you for not being able to live your life in a traditional capacity
- Money to compensate you and your spouse for losing companionship and affection if the accident injuries cause extreme hardship and difficulty
An Attorney Can Negotiate With South Carolina Car Insurance Companies
Once you are in a car accident in Columbia, South Carolina, you may be able to receive compensation to cover your emotional, financial, and medical expenses. As we discussed earlier, insurance companies will do everything in their power to not have to pay you the money you are due. An attorney can speak with the insurance company on your behalf to prevent them from bullying or scaring you into accepting an unfair settlement for your car accident. After an accident, you should schedule an appointment with a car accident attorney to make sure you receive all the compensation you are due to recover from your injuries.
No one wakes up in the morning planning to get into a vehicle collision. Your accident will leave you with physical pain from your injuries and a lot of confusion over what you can do to collect money to pay for your damages and personal injuries. A car accident lawyer can answer any and all questions you may have about how you will be able to provide for your family in the future. It is an attorney’s job to work for you to make sure you receive a fair and equitable settlement to cover any current and future injuries.
An experienced auto accident attorney knows and understands that car accident cases can be expensive, stressful, and take up large amounts of your time. Take the time to hire an auto accident attorney and let them fight your battle for you so you can focus all your time and energy on recuperating from your injuries. By working on your behalf, a lawyer can make sure you receive compensation for:
- Medical expenses and compensation to pay for current and future treatments for severe bodily injuries
- Compensation to cover income loss if you are unable to work for an extended period of time
- Money to cover vehicle repairs
- Money to compensate you for pain and suffering for injuries from the car accident
- Money to compensate you if you experience permanent physical injuries
- Compensation for any out-of-pocket charges you have after the accident like prescriptions and physical therapy
- Money to cover the expense of having to modify your home because of disabilities from the accident
- Compensation for medically-necessary ongoing treatments
In Columbia, South Carolina, accidents can and will happen. A minor collision can leave you with severe and serious injuries. Physical injuries can leave you with a large amount of medical bills from your injuries as well as the inability to work and make money to provide for yourself and your family.
Contact the Jeffcoat Firm for Help with Your Columbia, SC Car Accident Claim
If you or someone you love has injuries from a car accident, call our office so we can discuss how we can help you receive the compensation you deserve. We have extensive resources to investigate your collision and determine fault so we can go after the responsible party. It is our job to help you get back on your feet after your injuries. We care about your well-being and want to make sure you will be able to live and provide for your family in the future.
Let the Jeffcoat Firm in Columbia, South Carolina get you everything you are due. We will fight to protect your rights and will not stop until we receive a satisfactory settlement for your accident case. Contact our experienced auto accident attorneys today for a free, no-obligation consultation.