Seeking a Human Resources Director
The Jeffcoat Firm is now hiring. One of South Carolina’s foremost and fastest-growing injury law firms, with our main office centrally located in the heart of Columbia’s exciting
Main Street District. Columbia is a vibrant and growing capitol city which draws on the energy of South Carolina’s flagship university and is located within a short drive to both the foothills of the mountains and beautiful South Carolina beaches.
The Jeffcoat Firm helps make things right for seriously injured people in South Carolina by securing the money they need to recover and to get their lives back on track. Our primary goal is to take excellent care of our clients, while at the same time helping our team members grow personally, professionally and financially. Our firm is one of the best workplaces available, with opportunities for promotion from within, solid and secure training and development, and a culture of caring for each other as we serve the community.
This position will be responsible for important work. Responsibilities include:
- Serve as the point of contact for employee relations.
- Successfully organize, administer, and monitor all compensation and benefits plans.
- Implement human resources strategies by establishing department accountabilities, including talent acquisition, staffing, employment processing, compensation, health and welfare benefits, training and development, records management, safety and health, succession planning, employee relations and retention, AA/EEO compliance, and labor relations.
- Assess employment needs to achieve business goals (talent, learning, well-being, salary/workforce, and engagement, and succession planning).
- Conduct team development sessions, to improve effectiveness of team outcomes;
Support onboarding of staff and leadership; and provide leadership coaching when applicable.
- Recruit, onboard and manage performance of direct reports.
- Participate in business unit meetings/presentations to support leadership and provide updates on HR-related goal progress.
- Approve and schedule PTO based on employee needs and company requirements.
- Assess culture and develop action plans to ensure a positive, engaging, and supportive workplace.
- Partner with and serve as a resource to employees, management and Human
Resources staff to promote and maintain positive employee and labor relations.
- Proactively identify, manage and facilitate the equitable resolution of job-related complaints and concerns.
- Prepare/present position statements and evidence on behalf of the firm in claims related to unemployment, discrimination and other employment-related actions filed with federal/state/local agencies.
- Act as a mentor and advisor to all team members to identify growth opportunities and develop action plans to ensure their continued success.
- Address low-performing team members and create improvement plans – you have to make tough calls occasionally, and you handle these situations with grace and compassion.
If these statements appeal to you, then you may be our Human Resources Director:
- You smile when you answer the phone
- You are very good with calendars, e-mail, spreadsheets, word processing, and the internet
- Your middle name is “No Drama”
- You do not think scanning and copying are “beneath you”
- You are someone who will dive over the desk to answer the phone at 4:30 PM on a Friday of a holiday weekend to HELP a client in need
- You are someone who can energetically multi-task and work at a RAPID pace
- You are someone who naturally empathizes with people in need, and who truly wants to help
- You have an awesome personality
- You want to get better and better
- You are someone who will grab the bull by the horns and make our law firm better by helping us better serve people in the community who call us for help.
We need a Human Resources Director with experience. The ideal candidate will be able to take initiative on work that needs to be done and complete tasks with minimal hand- holding.
Education and experience required includes:
- SHRM Certified preferred
- must have the equivalent of a bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or related field.
- will have significant supervisory experience and experience working in a professional services firm.
Prepare a cover letter with no more than TWO paragraphs and a closing sentence. In the first paragraph explain what you believe are the 3 most important qualities needed in someone who works in a fast-growing law firm and why you believe they are the most important qualities. In the second paragraph, explain why you applied to this particular ad. As a closing sentence please write, “I have read the instructions contained in the job posting and have followed the instructions.”
We look forward to reviewing your application.
APPLICATIONS THAT DO NOT FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.