South Carolina wrongful death attorneys helping families in and around Columbia, Lexington & Richland County (and other areas) who have lost a loved one due to negligence or misconduct.
If you have lost a family member as a result of someone’s negligence, contact the Jeffcoat Law Firm to take advantage of a free legal consultation with experienced Columbia wrongful death attorneys. We promise to give you straightforward answers in your quest for justice while helping you get your life back on track.
The sudden death of a loved one is one of the most difficult things we face in our lives. The situation becomes even more heartbreaking when that loss was caused by another party’s negligence or misconduct. Serving Richland County for more than 20 years, our compassionate attorneys understand what you’re dealing with—the funeral arrangements, the emotional rollercoaster, and the questions you need to be answered—and we have the knowledge and expertise to guide you through this challenging time. As personal injury lawyers, we are much more than legal advocates—we’re here to support you in your time of need.
- Our Wrongful Death Lawyers Can Help With Your Death Claims in Columbia, SC
- Monetary damages in wrongful death cases may include those for:
- Beneficiaries (eligible surviving family members) may recover under our law for:
- Time Limits For Legal Action Following a Deaths in South Carolina
- Our Wrongful Death Attorneys in Columbia Here For Your Family
- A wrongful death lawyer can file the cause of action on behalf of families who’ve lost their loved one in any manner of an accident including:
- Compassionate Wrongful Death Representation in Columbia
Our Wrongful Death Lawyers Can Help With Your Death Claims in Columbia, SC
In Columbia, SC., a wrongful death claim may be filed by the surviving spouse, the decedent’s children, siblings or surviving parents. Immediate family members of the decedent may choose to file a personal injury lawsuit separately or jointly in an effort to recover damages. The court will appoint a guardian in the event the only surviving beneficiary is minor, in order to protect his or her best interest through litigation.
There are typically two primary claims for a loved one’s death: a wrongful death claim and a survival claim. Just like a wrongful death claim, a survival action is also filed by the Personal Representative of the estate who seeks damages suffered by the decedent prior to their passing.
Monetary damages in wrongful death cases may include those for:
- Mental anguish
- Pre-death pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life prior to death
- Economic losses such as medical expenses and lost income incurred by the deceased prior to death
The types of damages recoverable in a wrongful death lawsuit under South Carolina law are determined not by the value of the life lost, but by the damages suffered by the beneficiaries.
Beneficiaries (eligible surviving family members) may recover under our law for:
- Pecuniary (financial) losses
- The loss of your loved one’s experience, knowledge, and judgment
- Wounded emotions and feelings
- Grief and sorrow
- Mental shock and anguish suffered by the survivor of the decedent
- Loss of your loved one’s companionship, care or protection
- Punitive damages, intended to punish wrongdoers and prevent them from harming others
Time Limits For Legal Action Following a Deaths in South Carolina
The statute of limitations imposes time limits on civil actions, which means it’s imperative to start the legal process promptly. In SC, survivors have three years from the date of their loved one’s passing to file suit. A claim that is not brought within this time frame may forfeit any right to compensation. Given extenuating circumstances, there may additional time limits, making it important that you retain legal counsel right away, so we may begin gathering pertinent documents and ensuring all deadlines are met.
From the standpoint of your legal rights, we can help assess your financial and other losses, and make sure that those responsible are held accountable. Additionally, our lawyers consult with financial experts who can calculate the full extent of losses incurred, ensuring plaintiffs secure maximum damages.
Our Wrongful Death Attorneys in Columbia Here For Your Family
Based in Columbia, The Michael Jeffcoat Law Firm has successfully represented husbands and wives, sons and daughters and fathers and mothers in wrongful death actions here in South Carolina. We have recovered substantial verdicts and settlements on behalf of our clients by bringing claims against insurance companies, negligent drivers, reckless doctors, employers, and other entities.
A wrongful death lawyer can file the cause of action on behalf of families who’ve lost their loved one in any manner of an accident including:
- Automobile accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Commercial vehicle accidents
- Birth injury and death of a newborn
- Construction site accidents
- Defective or dangerous products
- Nursing home abuse or neglect
- Defective machinery and equipment
- Plane crashes
- Chemical exposure
- Recalled products
A tide of raw emotions fuels wrongful death claims. Survivors are often left grappling with a mix of anger, depression, grief, frustration, and disbelief. Due to the delicate nature of these claims, our attorneys handle these cases with extreme sensitivity and compassion.
Litigation may be lengthy and emotionally taxing, but our dedicated attorneys will guide you through every stage of the process in our fight for justice.
Compassionate Wrongful Death Representation in Columbia
Your choice of wrongful death attorney is very important in a wrongful death case in Columbia. If you have lost a loved one, contact us online to arrange a no-charge consultation. There are no upfront costs and you’ll never pay a dime unless you win or settle your claim since we work on a contingent-fee basis. We always respond promptly, and Mr. Jeffcoat will do his best to speak with you personally within 12 hours.
“YOUR FUTURE DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU DO TODAY”
Don’t let them mistreat you or your loved ones.
We are here to help you and answer your questions.