Getting caught in a fire is extremely scary. Worse yet, it can result in life-threatening injuries.
If you are a property owner, it is your duty to keep the premises safe from fires. If a fire occurs and it was found that you did not take the necessary steps to keep your property safe, it can result in an expensive and emotional lawsuit.
Read on to find out more about the steps a property owner should take to keep their home safe and how blocked exits can be a potential hazard.
Blocked Exits and Other Fire Hazards
It is up to a property owner to do what they can to reduce the risk of fire on their premises and to make for an easy escape if one does occur. A blocked exit can keep people from getting to safety in case of a fire. Therefore, it is up to the owner to make sure all exits are easily accessible.
Here are other steps a property owner should take to ensure the premises are safe from fire hazards:
- Functioning smoke detectors are installed
- Heating systems are well maintained
- Lint is removed from the dryer filter
- Cooking oil and flammable liquids are stored a safe distance from the stove
- Smoke extinguishers are in an accessible location
- House is checked regularly for gas leaks and electrical hazards
What to Do If You Are Injured in a Premises Liability Fire
If you are injured in a fire on someone else’s property and you feel your injuries were due to the owner’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation. To receive compensation, you must prove the following:
- The property owner knew the premises were unsafe
- The property owner failed to take steps to make the premises safe
- The injuries you sustained were caused by the fire
Proving these things is not easy and it is best to have a reliable lawyer on your side.
If you are looking for a Columbia premises liability lawyer, the Jeffcoat Law Firm is highly recommended. Jeffcoat’s lawyers are experienced in the fields of premises liability and personal injury. Let their honest evaluations and aggressive representation help you get the compensation you deserve.