Anyone involved in a car crash knows the amount of work that goes into handling the aftermath.
And it is possible to deal with it on your own – especially if the only damage was to your vehicle. However, if you were injured in an accident, you need to work an experienced personal injury attorney who can help you and ensure your rights are protected.
When accidents involve only property damage, the main issue is filing a claim to get your vehicle repaired. When someone is injured, an entirely new process begins and multiple insurance companies must play a role in the incident. Your health and your financial future are riding on the outcome of the case and the only way to guarantee as positive an outcome as possible is to work with an experienced personal injury attorney.
You could handle your own case, even with injuries, but what’s at risk?
- Insurance companies, no matter how sympathetic they might seem, are not on your side. You’ll need to deal with the at-fault driver’s insurance company and they are contractually obligated to take money out of your pocket whenever possible.
- These insurance companies have claims adjusters with years of experienced negotiating in favor of their clients and their best interests. They are trained to protect the company’s bottom line and their goal is to pay you the least amount possible.
- Adjusters will attempt to exploit your ignorance and vulnerability. They’ll take advantage of you if it helps their bottom line.
- You are the victim and you lack the experience a trained professional has to identify everyone responsible for your injuries. The aftermath of an auto accident is not a simple situation – those injured often miss sources of insurance coverage from third parties involved that could get them more of the money they deserve.
- Insurance companies want you to go it alone – they know they can tempt you with a lower-than-fair settlement because you don’t have the legal representation needed to take them to court and fight for what you deserve.
- You have a life outside of your accident aftermath, making it tough to keep up with filing and legal notification deadlines. Missing deadliness puts your claim at risk and can backfire in the long-run.
- You are personally involved in your claim which means it can be tough to not get emotional. Unfortunately, your personal emotions can work against you when dealing with insurance companies. They know this and will try to goad you into doing something you’ll regret.
- You lack the resources needed to build your strongest case. Experienced personal injury attorneys have access to a network of resources including expert witnesses that can speak on your behalf and support your efforts to get the compensation you deserve.
What Happens If I’m Offered a Settlement I Think is Unfair?
Unfortunately, if you’re on your own, you’ll likely need to proceed to the next step – suing the insurance company for more money. When you work with an experienced attorney, you’ll have a negotiator on your side. The insurance company will know you mean business and will be more likely to negotiate with you and avoid court.
Insurance companies don’t really want to go to court, even with the resources they have for doing so. However, if they have to force your hand they will. Armed with a skilled attorney, you’re able to match the resources of the insurance company and come to a negotiated settlement outside of course.
Initial settlements from insurance companies often sound generous, but they are never as much as the victim deserves. In order to get a handle on the value of your claim, you need to work with an experienced attorney who understands just how to calculate the costs of an auto accident and the injuries it caused.
What You Say Can Hurt Your Case
Unfortunately, the statements you make about your case can come back to haunt you. Even if you believe you are being honest and forthright when representing yourself, what you say can be used against you by the insurance companies. A personal injury attorney manages communication with the insurance company and speaks on your behalf, so you know you are protected and that you will not accidentally harm your case.
Attorneys also know the tricks used by insurance companies and will protect you against them. Many accident victims who thought they could handle their cases on their own were tricked into signing medical releases that allowed insurance companies to dig into their medical records in an effort to find a reason to deny their claims. An attorney protects against this and all of the other tricks used by insurance companies after an accident.
You deserve better than the stress and frustration of handling your own personal injury case. This is the time you should be focused on health and healing – not battling with insurance adjusters. An experienced personal injury attorney can relieve the burden and ensure you are treated fairly and with respect.
If you’ve been injured in a car or truck accident, we can help. We’ve worked with clients in Lexington and throughout South Carolina injured in accidents involving motorcycles, cars, trucks, 18-wheelers and tractor trailers, as well as a variety of other personal injury incidents.
For more information or to schedule a consultation, contact The Michael Jeffcoat Firm.