skip to Main Content

Hurt As a Passenger In A Car Accident?

If you were injured as a passenger in a car accident in South Carolina, you may have the right to receive compensation. It generally does not matter if the driver of the car you were in was at fault or not, you can in many cases still file a personal injury claim.

What To Do If You Were Hurt as A Passenger in A Car Accident?

If you’ve been injured as a passenger in a car accident or in any type of motor vehicle accident there are some things, you should do to make your physical recovery and compensation recovery go as smoothly and, in your favor, as possible. They are:

• Call 911 & tell the operator if medical care is required

• Get the contact information from witnesses

• Get the proper medical care you need

• If you’re able to, take pictures and videos of the accident scene

I Was Hurt as A Passenger in A Car Crash. How Do I File a Personal Injury Claim?

After being injured as a passenger in a car crash, there are generally two parties that can be found at fault: the driver of the car that hit you or the driver of the car you were in. Whenever possible it is best to file a claim with the at-fault drivers’ insurance company.

If The Driver of The Other Car Was at Fault:

The first option to consider is the other driver. If you were the passenger in a vehicle, and your driver was not to blame in the accident, then pursuing compensation from the at-fault driver of the other vehicle may be the best route.

If The Driver of The Car You Were in Was at Fault

If you’re hurt and your friend or family member that was driving was found at fault you may fear that you are going to have to sue them and ruin a relationship. You may have very real medical bills and expenses that need to be paid for. This is exactly why auto liability insurance exists. It is there to help people recover when they’ve been injured. The good news is, you don’t have to sue your friend in most cases, and a lawyer can help you work with their insurance company to get the compensation you need to recover.

Get Your Free Case Consultation

mail logo

What Kinds of Compensation Can You Receive if You Were Injured as A Passenger In A Car Crash?

Your right to collect monetary compensation as a passenger is no different from that of a driver. If you are injured by someone else’s negligent driving, then you have a right to seek compensation for:

  • Lost income
  • Medical expenses
  • Pain and suffering
  • Loss of enjoyment of life

Of course, the insurance companies normally won’t tell you all the ways you could be compensated. Their goal is to get you to sign a release as quickly as possible. For this reason, you should never sign anything until you talk with a lawyer.

I Was Injured as A Passenger and The Driver Doesn’t Have Insurance

In South Carolina drivers are required to have Uninsured Motorist Coverage (UM). If the at fault driver is breaking the law and doesn’t have insurance, a claim can be filed with your own car insurance to use your UM even if you weren’t driving. This can be tricky. Having a good lawyer by your side every step of the way is important.

If you’ve been injured as a passenger in a car accident in South Carolina, we’re here to help. Contact us today for a free consultation.

Get Your Free Case Consultation

mail logo

Contact Us Today!


It's free to speak with us about your case, and if you hire us, we don't get paid unless we win.

Awards & Associations

Our Locations

Jeffcoat Injury and Car Accident Lawyers

1333 Main St #510,
Columbia, SC 29201

(803) 373-1668

Jeffcoat Injury and Car Accident Lawyers

5465 Sunset Blvd Suite B,
Lexington, SC 29072

(803) 373-1302

Jeffcoat Injury and Car Accident Lawyers

161 Elliott St SE Suite B,
Orangeburg, SC 29115

(803) 373-7593

Jeffcoat Injury and Car Accident Lawyers

749-2 University Village Dr,
Blythewood, SC 29016

(803) 592-6553

! NOTICE ! No Legal Advice Intended. This website includes general information about legal issues and developments in the law. Such materials are for informational purposes only and may not reflect the most current legal developments. These informational materials are not intended, and must not be taken, as legal advice on any particular set of facts or circumstances. You need to contact a lawyer licensed in your jurisdiction for advice on specific legal issues or problems.

Files are primarily handled in our main office in Columbia.

Back To Top