What Is the Average Payout for the Talcum Powder Lawsuit?
The average settlement amount for talcum powder lawsuits can vary wildly. In the last 5 years, damages have ranged from $100,000,000 to $2,120,000,000. Unfortunately, an average settlement amount has not been established for talcum powder lawsuits, as many of the cases are currently pending.
In product liability cases, like those that have been filed against talcum powder companies, settlements can vary wildly. Unfortunately, there isn’t an average settlement amount for talcum powder lawsuits involving ovarian cancer and mesothelioma.
In fact, talcum powder manufacturer Johnson & Johnson have often resisted settling their cases and most often force the victims and their attorneys to seek justice through a trial in the court system.
However, in 2019, Johnson & Johnson broke from this pattern and settled four cases. The amount of each case that ended wasn’t revealed because the price tag for settling these cases was confidentiality.
What Were the Jury Verdicts Against Talcum Powder Companies for Mesothelioma in 2019?
As of 2021, Johnson & Johnson was the defendant in more than 27,000 lawsuits, which alleged the company’s talcum-based products caused the plaintiffs to develop ovarian cancer and mesothelioma.
Approximately twenty-four cases were scheduled to go to trial in 2019, all of them claiming that Johnson & Johnson’s talcum powder caused the plaintiffs to contract mesothelioma. The most notable wins for the plaintiff’s include:
- In 2019, a jury verdict awarded a plaintiff $27.5 million in compensatory and punitive damages. The woman was diagnosed with mesothelioma through the use of Johnson & Johnson baby talcum powder on her children and herself.
- In 2019, a plaintiff from Manhattan was diagnosed with mesothelioma after using Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder regularly during her lifetime. She was awarded over $300 million in compensatory and punitive damages.
- Again in 2019, a jury in California awarded a woman who was diagnosed with mesothelioma after using Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder for most of her life, $29 million.
- In 2020, 22 women were awarded $2.12 billion dollars in damages when the Missouri Court of Appeals upheld a lower-court ruling establishing that these women suffered ovarian cancer from using baby powder. That same year, Johnson & Johnson settled about 1,000 lawsuits for roughly $100 million in damages.
- In August 2021, a court in California ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay $26.5 million to a plaintiff who alleged that the company’s baby powder caused her to develop mesothelioma, a cancer of the lining of the lungs. The plaintiff had used the baby powder for two decades. Later that year, at least 34,000 talcum powder lawsuits had been filed against Johnson & Johnson in the United States. This made it the second-largest MDL class action lawsuit filed in the history of the United States.
What Were the Jury Verdicts Against Talcum Powder Companies for ovarian cancer in 2019, and the Talcum Powder Lawsuit Payouts?
The very first talcum powder and asbestos connected ovarian cancer verdict in the United States were in 2019 in St. Louis. This was a mass tort claim with 22 ovarian cancer patients. The total verdict was $4.7 billion to be divided amongst them.
This is the first case in which the plaintiffs had used a baby powder that tested positive for asbestos. The company didn’t warn their customers and/or consumers about the risks involved in using their products, which included Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder and Shower to Shower to dust their genital areas.
Call The Jeffcoat Firm for Assistance With Your Talcum Powder Lawsuit
If you or a loved one used Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder or another talc-based product and was diagnosed with mesothelioma or ovarian cancer, now is your time to stand up and be heard. The talcum powder attorneys at The Jeffcoat Firm in Columbia firmly believe that you deserve to be compensated for the illness you suffered because of the greed and negligence this company has shown over the years.
The Jeffcoat Firm will do everything in their power to get you the maximum monetary compensation you deserve for your mesothelioma or ovarian cancer. Call us today for a free, no-obligation consultation so we can evaluate your individual case and advise you of the next steps that may need to be taken.
See What Others Are Saying About Our Talcum Powder Attorneys Near You
It was a pleasure to be a client of The Jeffcoat Firm. From day one, The Jeffcoat Firm treated me like a family member. They were concerned about my wellbeing. That made a good expression on me especially since I had an injury and was not feeling my best. I’m so thankful that I was in good hands. I would recommend The Jeffcoat Firm to anyone that is in need of help.
Ivette Kelley (see our 5.0 average rating and 865 Google reviews here)
Every case is different. You should not believe your case will get the same result.