skip to Main Content

News: St. Matthews man struck by train, killed in Fort Motte

FORT MOTTE, SC – A 38-year-old man died after being hit by a train while walking along the tracks in northeast Calhoun County last Friday evening, reports Kilgore News Herald.

Officials say the incident happened around 6:22 p.m. on the train tracks that intersect with Fort Motte Road.

A preliminary investigation suggests that the man had been fishing in the area prior to his walk along the tracks. The train operator says he attempted to alert the pedestrian by sounding the train horn several times.

Authorities identified the victim as Matthew Shannon of St. Matthews. Shannon died from blunt-force trauma at the scene of the collision.

A full investigation of the incident is underway.

If you’ve lost a loved one in a car accident in Calhoun County, a lawyer can provide invaluable assistance with the complicated claims process. The South Carolina car accident lawyers at Jeffcoat Injury and Car Accident Lawyers will prioritize your case and fight for the justice your family deserves. Reach us today online or by phone at (803) 855-4077 for a free case evaluation.

Contact Us Today!


It's free to speak with us about your case, and if you hire us, we don't get paid unless we win.

Awards & Associations

Our Locations

Jeffcoat Injury and Car Accident Lawyers

1333 Main St #510,
Columbia, SC 29201

(803) 373-1668

Jeffcoat Injury and Car Accident Lawyers

5465 Sunset Blvd Suite B,
Lexington, SC 29072

(803) 373-1302

Jeffcoat Injury and Car Accident Lawyers

161 Elliott St SE Suite B,
Orangeburg, SC 29115

(803) 373-7593

Jeffcoat Injury and Car Accident Lawyers

749-2 University Village Dr,
Blythewood, SC 29016

(803) 592-6553

! NOTICE ! No Legal Advice Intended. This website includes general information about legal issues and developments in the law. Such materials are for informational purposes only and may not reflect the most current legal developments. These informational materials are not intended, and must not be taken, as legal advice on any particular set of facts or circumstances. You need to contact a lawyer licensed in your jurisdiction for advice on specific legal issues or problems.

Files are primarily handled in our main office in Columbia.

Back To Top