skip to Main Content

Emotional Abuse of Nursing Home Residents Lawyer in Columbia

Home » Emotional Abuse of Nursing Home Residents Lawyer in Columbia

Emotional abuse of nursing home residents: not every case of nursing home abuse makes a physical mark. Psychological maltreatment is among the most challenging and most common types of nursing home abuse to detect. It frequently goes unreported, and individuals may have a tendency to ignore it, even when seen firsthand. What this means is that it’s up to you and your attorney to fight for the psychological well being of your loved one.

If you find evidence that a relative or loved one in a nursing home is the victim of psychological abuse, call the Columbia nursing home abuse attorneys at Jeffcoat Injury and Car Accident Lawyers immediately.


Mental or psychological abuse is typically defined as acting in manner to cause emotional distress and suffering to a nursing home patient. When your nearest and dearest endure psychological maltreatment from the physicians or staff at a nursing home, they tend to feel stressed, depressed or scared.

Some cases of mental or mental maltreatment:

  • Intimidating a patient
  • Threatening a patient with violence
  • Yelling at a patient
  • Causing a patient to feel emotional anguish
  • Being disrespectful or criticizing a patient
  • Isolating a patient from family or fellow residents
  • Neglecting a patient’s needs
  • Attempting to withhold medication, food, or other necessities

When confronted with signs of psychological maltreatment, a staff member might attempt to describe his or her actions by saying that such conduct is crucial to keep the patient calm, or the patient cannot be harmed because they don’t understand what’s happening. Don’t accept these explanations. Psychological maltreatment can cause real physical and mental anguish, and is unnecessary.


Nursing home abuse is astonishingly common Residents have limited contact with the outside world, and staff at a nursing home have a great deal of power over the residents. This gives them lots of chance to make the most of their power, and it’s up to you to see the signals before it’s too late.

Your loved one may be showing signs of mental or psychological maltreatment if they’re:

  • Acting depressed or removed
  • Refusing to speak or socialize
  • Easily agitated, with surprising mood swings
  • Looking fearful of you, attendants, or others
  • Showing uncommon and compulsive behaviors
  • Neglecting to eat or sleep consistently
  • Refusing to take drugs
  • Losing weight

You should contact an attorney when possible if you find a couple of these hints.


The Columbia nursing home abuse lawyers at Jeffcoat Injury and Car Accident Lawyers know the signs of emotional abuse, and may be able to help you prove your case. The elderly are among the most vulnerable members of society, and if you want to protect your family member or loved one, you need the skill and experience of our legal team on your side.

To contact the Columbia & Lexington nursing home abuse lawyers at Jeffcoat Injury and Car Accident Lawyers, fill out a form on this web page.

Contact Us Today!


It's free to speak with us about your case, and if you hire us, we don't get paid unless we win.

Awards & Associations

Our Locations

Jeffcoat Injury and Car Accident Lawyers

1333 Main St #510,
Columbia, SC 29201

(803) 373-1668

Jeffcoat Injury and Car Accident Lawyers

5465 Sunset Blvd Suite B,
Lexington, SC 29072

(803) 373-1302

Jeffcoat Injury and Car Accident Lawyers

161 Elliott St SE Suite B,
Orangeburg, SC 29115

(803) 373-7593

Jeffcoat Injury and Car Accident Lawyers

749-2 University Village Dr,
Blythewood, SC 29016

(803) 592-6553

! NOTICE ! No Legal Advice Intended. This website includes general information about legal issues and developments in the law. Such materials are for informational purposes only and may not reflect the most current legal developments. These informational materials are not intended, and must not be taken, as legal advice on any particular set of facts or circumstances. You need to contact a lawyer licensed in your jurisdiction for advice on specific legal issues or problems.

Files are primarily handled in our main office in Columbia.

Back To Top